Here's North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, looking like the happiest boy in the world in his Romeo-class submarine. North Korea was assembling these noisy boats from kits up until as late as 1995, but the truth of the matter is, the Romeo-class design is pure 1950s Soviet vintage.
A 1950s-era submarine is basically useless against any modern navy, but that hasn't stopped Kim Jong-Un for being a proud daddy to all these subs that are, essentially, older than him.
But the design of these rustbuckets is also older than a lot of things. So here's a list of things that were created after the first Romeo-class sub was ever introduced into service, in 1957:
1) Barack Obama
2) The Ford Mustang
3) The Moon landings
4) The Republic of Zimbabwe
5) The word "aerospace"
6) Duck Dynasty
8) Your parents (?)
9) Elvis Presley's army career
10) The Second Vatican Council
11) The F-4 Phantom, which has been retired from American combat service since 1996
12) Greg Oden, I know, I was surprised, too
13) Diet soda
15) ZIP codes
16) Canada's first satellite, Alouette 1
17) Led Zeppelin
19) Disney World
20) The world's first microprocessor, the Intel 4004
North Korea's submarines are old.
Think you know of some other old stuff that's still younger than the Romeo-class submarine? Drop it in the comments below.
Photos credit: Korea Central News Agency