Our good friends over at Sierrahotel.net put together an awesome video showing the lineage of the Blue Angel’s jet age mounts set to the Bach’s booming Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. It is a glorious blend of aviation history, classical music and the high-energy aerobatics the Blues are so well known for.
Here is the link directly to the video on Sierra Hotel’s Facebook page for our mobile users:
If you were wondering what entire list of aircraft the Blue Angles have flown, here it is, starting with the WWII era Hellcat and ending with the F/A-18C/D today:
- F6F Hellcat 1946
- F8F Bearcat 1946 to 1949
- F9F-2 Panther 1949 to 1950
- F9F-5 Panther 1951 to 1955
- F9F-8 Cougar 1955 to 1957
- F11F-1 Tiger 1957 to 1968
- F-4J Phantom II 1969 to 1974
- A-4F Skyhawk II 1974 to 1986
- F/A-18 Hornet A/B 1986 to 2010
- F/A-18 Hornet C/D Current
Contact the author at Tyler@jalopnik.com.